The Parkes Institute is pleased to announce the continuation of its East-Central European Scholarship for the upcoming academic year.
The Scholarship includes tuition fees and maintenance and is available for citizens of selected East and East-Central European countries to study for an MA in Jewish History and Culture at the School of Humanities, University of Southampton, UK.
The Parkes Institute is one of the foremost centres for the study of Jewish history, culture, and literature in the UK, with specialists in ancient and modern Jewish history, literature, and culture, and the histories of British, German, South African, and East European Jewries. The Parkes Library and Archive is an outstanding resource for the study of Jewish history and culture.
The University seeks candidates who intend to use the degree to further an existing career in cultural, educational, archeographical, or communal work, such as museum professionals and educators; archivists; school teachers; civil servants engaged in issues related to Jews and Judaism, ethnic relations, migration, and the like; or community workers for whom the degree will provide enrichment for their current work (for example work with Holocaust survivors).
- You must be a national of and currently residing within one of the following countries: Bulgaria, Croatia, CzechRepublic, Estonia, Hungary, Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, Romania, Slovenia, or Slovakia. Please note that this year we are not accepting applications from non-European Union countries, though we hope to be able to do so again in subsequent years.
- You must be expecting to return to the country concerned at the end of the period of study.
- You should hold a degree of an equivalent standard to at least a good UK second class Honours degree
- Have a standard of English that meets University of Southampton admission requirements
- Have not already been awarded a university doctorate from another academic institution
- Have not already spent a substantial period of time studying in a university outside your home country
Deadline: Friday June 14, 2013
How to apply:
See our website for information about the programme and details on how to apply. Please apply online for the MA programme here and send a personal statement regarding this studentship to Dr Shirli Gilbert, convenor of the MA/MRes programme, at email@example.com.